Wednesday, November 26, 2008

What My Nespresso Machine Says About Me

In a nutshell, my ownership of a Nespresso machine indicates that I spend too much money on my coffee. I like to use the Starbucks defense when justifying the existence of such a machine in my home. I received the machine as a mother's day present but it's not like I didn't lobby hard. Thankfully, hubby likes it as much as I do so I don't have to invoke the oft-repeated phrase, Well, at least it keeps me out of Starbucks! I still have difficulty resolving the issue of resource-waste but I ponder it over a really good homemade latte.

To counter-balance the espresso machine, I bought what is possibly the cheapest coffee maker on the planet.... A Black & Decker with a thermal carafe. It took me forever to decide which coffee maker to get when our other bit the proverbial dust. I knew I wanted a thermal carafe but I also knew I wanted to try to be thrifty. 

It was hard for me because the whole Black & Decker thing didn't jive sitting next to my Nespresso machine on the dark-green engineered granite counter top. What would my friends say? Lucky me, I don't have many friends so it doesn't matter all that much.

I took a lesson from a friend and former coworker (you know who you are) about whom someone once said, "If he wanted to buy a toilet plunger, he would go to three different stores to check the price and then he'd still order it on eBay." I didn't exactly order my coffee machine on eBay but I did scour the Consumer Reports reviews and read what people had to say on Amazon.com. In the end, the Black & Decker was a great choice. It keeps the coffee hot and works just fine.

As far as brand names appearing on my counter top, there are conflicts but I've always had that nouveau-riche thing going on... without the riche part. I'm more like nouveau-old-and-ratty. I have these fantastic Ralph Lauren sunglasses that were so two years ago and I wear them with a old shirt I bought from Target sometime during the Third Dynasty.

A good friend was nice enough to pass off a lovely but too-small-for-her Coach purse that I get to use at times when I feel good enough to take it out of it's drawstring bag. It feels sort of cool to have a bag for my bag which keeps the leather pristine; except when I use it. What I love about my friend is that while she has a purse fetish, she is as down-to-earth as I am and hopefully wouldn't begrudge my Black & Decker but she definitely would not spend all that money on a Nespresso machine. 

Revising my premise... What my Nespresso machine says about me is that I struggle to balance my wants and my needs in an age when spending is always encouraged. For now, I will just continue to mull it over while drinking my over-priced espresso out of a pink flowery teacup. Sometimes, I might actually make a pot of coffee.




1 comment:

BigZee said...

I think purchasing your Black and Decker coffee machine says more about you than owning a Nespresso Machine....all of us for that matter. Why do we have to counter-balance our needs to make our desires more justifiable? I think we, especially us moms, deserve nice things. Isn't it better to have quality than quantity? We should all hang your 2nd hand Coach purse over our shoulder with pride, because darn it we took out the trash,made the bed, cleaned the toilet, made breakfast,got the kids off to school,did a load of laundry,washed the dishes, and swept and mopped the floor, all before our husbands got to work this morning. WE deserve that Nespresso machine, we don't always need to be thrifty to be down to earth. And, yes I own a Nespresso machine, which I too received on Mothers Day!