Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Drinking Coffee Gives Me a False Sense of Maturity

Like many women my age, drinking coffee gives me a false sense of maturity; and since I am knocking on forty, I need every delusion I can get.

I am over-educated, under-utilized and much too fond of my Nespresso machine. I am the mother of two fabulous boys (ages 10 & 13) and there are Pokemon cards lying about the house as if they multiply by themselves.

As a nearly forty-something mother of two adolescent boys who harbors an addiction to Starbucks, I feel compelled to give a voice to those experiencing similar maturity angst.  I hold a Master’s Degree in Education and in a former life was a researcher and technical writer. In addition to being a stay-at-home mother, I have recently started my own soapmaking business which in no way matches my career potential... yet.

I was tapped to do this blog for Neapolitan Family magazine in order to talk about being a mom with a home-based business. I was really excited to have this opportunity because I like to write. I have several unfinished books; some virtually complete. However, I am a procrastinator which greatly interferes with my ability to get beyond myself. So, it will be interesting to see how I manage to attempt compelling verbage on a regular basis. And, if I ever get that last chapter of my book written, you'll know it. As my business becomes more lucrative, I'm sure to be quite vociferous about that too.

Being a mom has given me many opportunities to feel and want just about everything. I've been horrifically depressed and authentically happy and everything in between. I've wanted to own my own business for as long as I've been constrained by my existence as stay-at-home mom. I've taken enough classes to get a PhD but I never had the drive to get it done; and that procrastination thing got in the way. Now I'm here, at this weird make-it-or-break-it place in my life and luckily I get to blog about it. Hopefully, you'll stick around and find it all interesting enough to read!






No comments: